- Ondo 2020: Our plan on election sensitive materials —INEC Chair
- Ondo 2020: IPC, IMS, Experts warn media orgs on election conflict
- Ondo 2020: I didn't write Akeredolu over Jegede —Mimiko
- Ondo Guber poll: Court grants lawyer's request over Agboola's eligibility
- "No govt's patronage for Ondo artisans since Mimiko left office, we need Agboola"
By: Oluwatosin Adesola
The Nigeria Police have attributed the cause of fire outbreak at the INEC headquarters in Akure last week to faulty electrical appliances at a store where over 5,000 card reader machines were destroyed.
Briefing newsmen in Akure, the Commissioner of Police, Mr Bolaji Salami said the outcome of an investigation carried out by federal fire service showed that electrical surge from the air conditioners inside the containers housing the card readers caused the inferno.
Salami explained that it was also discovered that it would cost INEC thirty million naira to replace the burnt card readers.
The police commissioner dismissed insinuation that the fire outbreak was orchestrated by political class, noting that there was no case of sponsored attack on the INEC office.
On the alleged destruction of some governorship candidates’ billboards, Mr Salami warned that anybody caught causing political unrest would be arrested for prosecution.