COMMUNIQUÉ ISSUED AT THE FIRST POST COVID-19 CONGRESS OF THE NIGERIA UNION OF JOURNALISTS (NUJ), ONDO STATE COUNCIL, HELD AT THE PRESS CENTRE, AKURE ON THURSDAY 27th AUGUST, 2020.
After extensive deliberations, the first post COVID-19 Congress took the following decisions:
1. That the Congress commends the leadership of Ondo NUJ for various achievements including ongoing face lift of facilities at the Press Centre; organising Training workshops for members; distribution of COVID-19 palliatives to members; defending interest of members among others.
2. That the Union expresses appreciation to the International Press Centre *(IPC)* for partnering Ondo NUJ to organise Webinar for members on election coverage.
3. That the Congress resolves to constitute a TaskForce to checkmate rising rate of quacks/fake journalists infiltrating the state ahead of the forthcoming governorship election in the state.
Stemming from the ugly experiences during the APC and PDP governorship primaries held in July, 2020 as well as recent Local Govt election; the Union during the Congress appointed *Kayode Animasaun, Sina Adeyeye, Tosin Ajuwon, Bayo Adediran* and *Bolu Olu-Esho* as members of the TaskForce. Kayode Animasaun was appointed as the Head of the Taskforce and Tosin Ajuwon will serve as the Secretary.
4. That media professionals should be mindful of their relationship with politicians and shun unethical conducts before, during and after the October 10, 2020 governorship election in Ondo state.
5. That the Union urges media organizations to register their staff for the coverage of the forthcoming Ondo governorship election through INEC Media Accreditation portal.
6. That the Congress advises politicians to play the game according to the rules as the gubernatorial election approaches to sustainable existing peace in the State.
7. That the Congress commends the timely response of the NUJ National President, *Comrade Chris Isiguzo,* other media partners and prominent Nigerians who condemned the show of shame of a former Aviation Minister, Femi Fani-Kayode who openly insulted Daily Trust Reporter in Calabar.
8. That Ondo NUJ which expresses satisfaction with regular payment of workers’ salaries by Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu’s administration since its inception, urges him not to be distracted and continue to priotize the salary payment.
9. That the Congress expresses concern over total violation of COVID-19 precautionary measures in the state, calling on government to be more proactive in enforcing coronavirus protocols to safeguard public health.
10. That the Union commends Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu for the prompt take off of Amotekun Corps, reminding the Ondo State Government and other Southwest states on the need to appoint experienced journalists as Public Relations Officers (PROs) of the security outfit for effective operations.
11. Members at the Congress observed a MINUTE SILENCE in memory of late Veteran Journalist, Mr AYO OGEDENGBE who died recently.
COMMUNIQUÉ DRAFTING COMMITTEE:
Bolu Olu-Esho -Correspondents Chapel
Stephen Ayeni -LG Information Chapel
Kola Afolabi -Owena Press Chapel.
State Secretary, NUJ.