- Achievers University, Owo matriculates 593 new students, warns against indiscipline
- Senate moves to ease Visa Renewal for Nigerians
- Akeredolu has made history with Pharmacist Aladenola as Perm Sec —Ondo Health workers
- Ojogo, Akinterinwa, Titiloye return as Info, Finance, Justice Commissioners in Ondo
- Update: Akeredolu makes fresh appointments
A Chief Magistrates’ Court sitting in Makurdi, the Benue State capital, on Friday, ordered that a 38-year-old businessman, Simon Emeka for allegedly raping his seven-month-old daughter, Prosper Emeka, be remanded in Makurdi Correctional Centre.
When the case came up for mentioning, Police Prosecuting Officer, Friday Kanshio, informed the court that on June 1, one Josephine Habba of No 34 Modern Market Road, Makurdi, went to the Nigerian Police Force ‘D’ Division Makurdi and lodged a complaint, that on the same date, she went to Jestic Hospital in Makurdi with her daughter for treatment and she heard one Favour Emeka crying and telling a nurse that her seven-month-old baby girl named Prosper Emeka was raped by her husband.
The Punch says he said during Police investigation, the said Simon Emeka was arrested for committing the crime which is contrary to section 391 and 284 of the penal code law of Benue State.
No plea was taken for want of jurisdiction.
However, the accused pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The Police Prosecuting Officer further told the court that further investigation into the matter was on and asked for another date to enable the prosecution to prove its case.
Magistrates Isaac Ajim agreed with the officer and ordered that the accused be remanded at the Nigerian Correctional Service.
He adjourned the case till August 31, 2020, for further mention.