- Killings, Economic woe: Nigeria on the Brink —Afenifere raises alarm
- Ondo Govt'll take over payment of Students' WAEC fees —Akeredolu
- Akure monarch, people host Day of Tribute for Gov Makinde's Mother
- "Vibz Arena" opens for Fun Seekers, revolutionizes Entertainment in Akure
- Slain monarch: Akeredolu rushes to scene, says it's beyond ordinary
By: Oluwatosin Adesola
There was pandemonium at Irun Akoko in Akoko North West local government area of Ondo state yesterday when the lifeless body of a 70 year-old farmer, Raphael Ojo Osayintuyi was discovered on his farm.
SUNSHINETRUTH gathered that there were rumours that the old man was killed after having an altercation with some herdsmen whose cattle destroyed his crops.
Another account told SUNSHINETRUTH that an herdsman came to the nearest farm camp to report seeing the lifeless body of the late septuagenarian on the farm.
A villager who preferred to speak under the condition of anonymity, said the situation was said to have flared up anger in the people who thereafter attacked the herdsman, alleging him of hacking the farmer to death.
The case was later reported at Irun Akoko divisional police station from where officers went to evacuate the corpse from the farm.
Speaking on the incident, the divisional police officer in charge of Irun Akoko , Chief Superintendent of Police, CSP Gbenga Ogunleye disclosed that the corpse had been taken to the mortuary at the state specialist hospital Ikare Akoko with the wounded herdsman also taken to the hospital.
The senior policeman said investigation had continued on the mysterious death of the old man.