- 7days ultimatum: How illegal arms should be returned to Amotekun —Akeredolu
- #EndSars protest: Why victims must utilize Akeredolu's Judicial Panel —Ondo NUJ
- ASUU, FUOYE on warpath over plot to impose Fasina as new VC
- Agboola, Aiyedatiwa make Akeredolu's second term Committee
- Breaking: Jegede heads for Tribunal over Akeredolu's reelection
By: Ade Adetona
The Chairman of Mega Party of Nigeria, Prince Biyi Poroye, today instituted litigation against the Ondo State Independent Electoral Commission (ODIEC), for removing the name of his Party among political parties that will participate in the ‘suspended’ local government election in the state.
Poroye said deleting the name of the MPN from the list of the Local Government Election earlier scheduled for 18th April, 2020 but postponed indefinitely due to Covid-19 pandemic in the stat as illegal and unconstitutional.
SUNSHINETRUTH reports that the case with Suit No AK/81/2020 was filed today, 08/05/2020 in the High Court of Justice of Ondo State in the Akure Judicial Division Holden at Akure.
The leading Counsel to Mega Party of Nigeria, Barr. Tolu Babaleye confirmed that in the originating summons, Poroye prays the Court for the following reliefs:
1. A Mandatory Order of the Court directing ODIEC to return the name of Mega Party of Nigeria to the list of participating Political Parties in the Local Government Election and also return the names of the Chairmanship and Councillorship candidates of the Mega Party of Nigeria into the list of contestants in the 18 Local Governments and 203 Wards with immediate effect.
2. An Order Restraining the ODIEC from conducting the Local Government Election in Ondo State without the name of the Mega Party of Nigeria which is registered and recognised Political Party having fulfilled all conditions precedent and requirements of law including payment of requisite fees and submission of the list of candidates to ODIEC.
3. An Order nullifying the Local Government Election if conducted by the ODIEC without the participation of the Mega Party of Nigeria haven been illegally and unlawfully removed from the list of participating Political Parties and excluded from participating.
4. A declaration of the Court that it is illegal and unconstitutional for the name of the Mega Party of Nigeria to be removed from the list of Political Parties eligible to participate in the Local Government Election in spite of the Order of Federal High Court in Suit Number FHC/ABJ/CS/444/2019 but which election was postponed due to the outbreak of Covid-19 pandemic in Ondo State.