- Breaking: FG declares Thursday public Holiday
- #EndSars protests: Police confirms killing of Two officers, one civilian in Ondo
- #EndSars protests: Ajipe's Klick Konnect partners Youths to clean up Akure
- Five ways to urgently stop rising Youths' protests in Nigeria —Akure Chief Imam
- Passengers stranded as plane crash was averted at Akure Airport
By: Ade Adetona
Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu today dismissed a report that Ondo state rejected the palliative items donated by the Federal Government through the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management.
The governor noted that the FG rice brought to ondo state had been tested and not poisonous or expired, noting that the expiring date on the bags of the rice ranges from May, 2021 to 2022.
The palliatives sent to Ondo were 1800 bags of rice and 700 gallons of vegetable oil as part of measures to cushion the effect of the COVID-19 lockdown in the country.
There was a report that ondo is among the southwest states that turndown the federal government’s rice for allegedly contaminated or expired.
Addresssing a news briefing in Akure, Akeredolu who spoke through his Special Adviser on Public and Inter-Governmental Relations, Mrs. Bunmi Ademosu, said the state government never contemplated returning the rice to the federal government and expressed shock to have read in some section of the media that he rejected the rice.
He said it was unfair to say that he joined hands with the Oyo State government to return the rice.
Describing the report as unfounded, embarrassing, shocking and false, the governor said there was no plan to return the rice and other food items sent to the state.
He said the committee had commenced the repackaging of the rice for onward distribution to the vulnerable in the state as the rice has been tested and confirmed to be edible.
According to him, “We have no plans to return the rice, and such report never emanated from the state government or any member of the palliative committee.
“The state government had commended the gestures of the Federal government towards cushioning the effect of the lock down across the country. It behoves on us to appreciate the gestures rather than condemning it.
“The items are in good shape, tested and good for consumption. The expiry date are boldly written on the rice, we cannot distribute what is harmful to our people.
“We don’t want to lose them, irrespective of their political leaning, we will not sacrifice the people we govern by giving them expired or products that are not good for human consumption.
“The onus is on the governor to protect the people of the state, their safety and lives. We have cooked part of the rice to be sure they are edible and good for consumption
“We must not create another problem while finding solution to one, we have tested the rice, checked the expiry date and I can confirm to you that the rice are of good quality and good for consumption,” Akeredolu said.
Ondo State Coordinator of YESSO, Mr. Bankole Olaoluwa, said they have provide the state with Social Register of poor and vulnerable by capturing over 20,000 heads of households, which would aid the distribution of the palliatives.
The permanent Secretary of the state ministry of Economic planning and Budget, Mr Bunmi Alade appealed to the public to disregard the rumour of poisonous rice from the federal government.