- Achievers University, Owo matriculates 593 new students, warns against indiscipline
- Senate moves to ease Visa Renewal for Nigerians
- Akeredolu has made history with Pharmacist Aladenola as Perm Sec —Ondo Health workers
- Ojogo, Akinterinwa, Titiloye return as Info, Finance, Justice Commissioners in Ondo
- Update: Akeredolu makes fresh appointments
The Nigeria Labour Congress, Ondo State Council has criticised the alleged brutality of one of its members who was returning from duty as a staff of the Nigeria Television Authority (NTA), Akure, Jide Bello.
NLC also warned that the union would withdraw services of essential workers if unnecessary attacks were recorded again during this COVID-19 curfew.
In a Statement jointly signed by the NLC Chairman, Comrade Sunday Adeleye-Oluwole and the Secretary, Comrade Omokehinde Shado, the organised labour asked the ondo state government to foot the hospital bill of the victim.
NLC leadership which had visited Mr Jide Bello at his hospital bed, also demanded that the soldier who attacked him should be sanctioned by the Nigerian Army.
BRUTALITY OF WORKER: ONDO NLC THREATENS WITHDRAWAL OF ESSENTIAL SERVICES
The Nigeria Labour Congress, Ondo State Council is taken aback by the alleged brutality of one of our members who was returning from duty as a staff of the Nigeria Television Authority (NTA), Akure, Jide Bello.
The Congress gathered that, the staff when accosted identified himself properly with the show of his official I’D card and another letter introducing him as an official on essential duty. In flagrant disregard to these protocols, the irresponsible officer went ahead and brutalise the young man.
With the evidences before the Congress and a personal visit of the Congress Secretary to the hospital where the victim is currently admitted, medical report has it that he has developed a High Blood Pressure as a result of the beating he received from the army officer.
It is unfortunate that the young man and his family is just recovering from the shock of the explosion of last month where his house was badly affected and even the ceiling of the house fell on his baby.
Arising from the above therefore, the Congress is constrained to place the following demands;
1. That the state government should foot the hospital bill of the victim.
2. That the officer be arrested and made to face disciplinary actions.
3. That a letter of apology be written to the victim and also to NTA.
4. That officers/officials on essential duty/duties will be spared and given immunity of passage throughout the period of the curfew.
5. That any further report of molestation, harrasment and I’ll treatment of any member on essential duty will be resisted appropriately.
6. Failure to comply with the above, the Congress shall order immediate withdrawal of services of essential workers at all government-owned media outfits and other agencies in the state. A stitch in time saves nine.
Oluwole Adeleye Sunday
Shado Festus Omokehinde
16 April, 2020.