In celebration of the 2019 World Disability Day with theme “the Future is Accessible”, the Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni Association (MWFAAN) ably led by the Association’s President, Dr. Abudulkareem Mayere in collaboration with the Ondo State Agency for the Welfare of persons living with Disabilities Present.
“The Ondo Disability Pride Festival” scheduled to hold at the Ondo State Sports Complex( Stadium) on the 3rd of December 2019.
The Unique thing about this Festival is that it will also have bodies and organizations such as NLC, NUJ, Rattawu, Market Women, NURTW, ONE, HOWGA and other associations.
“Together we will demand the full inclusion of the disabled minorities in Ondo State and Nigeria at large. We have invited all our law makers, the Governor and policy influencers who can actually help aid our fight for full inclusion.
WE AIM TO DEMAND:
* Inclusive Telecast especially for our deaf community. We want subtitled movies and also sign language interpreters for our major bulletins
* We want sign language introduced as a subject in primary school. So our deaf community can hence forth stop being seculuded. This will also help create jobs for members of the deaf community.
* We want our special schools upgraded to the level of “Mega Schools”.
* We want employment of persons living with disabilities .
* We want NURTW members to stop double charging persons Living With Disabilities.
* And we want public structures to be disability friendly, especially banks, churches, schools etc or they pay a certain amount of money as fine to the purse of the government.
And lastly, we want Ondo State to champion the implementation of the disability rights Act. All thanks to the Akeredolu led administration, we already have a SA on special persons in person of Hon.Folashade Arise, we have a Board chaired by Mr. Sanmi Alegbeleye. And we heard a commission is in the pipeline. A little more and we are there. We want that little more to start now.
PRESS CONFERENCE: 8am
PARADE : 8.30AM
Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni Association.