- Achievers University, Owo matriculates 593 new students, warns against indiscipline
- Senate moves to ease Visa Renewal for Nigerians
- Akeredolu has made history with Pharmacist Aladenola as Perm Sec —Ondo Health workers
- Ojogo, Akinterinwa, Titiloye return as Info, Finance, Justice Commissioners in Ondo
- Update: Akeredolu makes fresh appointments
Published by: SunshineTruth
The concern raised by the NUJ is contained in a communiqué issued below:
*COMMUNIQUÉ ISSUED AT THE END OF AN EMERGENCY MEETING OF THE NIGERIA UNION OF JOURNALISTS, ZONE-B HOSTED BY OSUN STATE COUNCIL AT THE PRESS CENTRE, OSOGBO ON SATURDAY MAY 25, 2019.*
The leadership deliberated extensively on crucial issues affecting the Union in the Zone, the Pen Profession and the nation at large and resolved as follows:
1. That the Zonal leaders comprising Vice President, Zonal Secretary, National Trustee, Chairmen and Secretaries of the Six states in the South-West reviewed the Ogun state NUJ Election that was annulled by the Central Working Committee (CWC) and commended the steps taken to resolve the issue amicably. Specifically, the meeting commended the Soji Amosun-led executive for withdrawing the case it instituted against the Union in Court.
We therefore appeal to all parties to the dispute to maintain peace and allow the National leadership of the Union to resolve the matter at the next National Executive Council (NEC) meeting.
2. That the Zone equally appeal to the National President and members of the Union’s NEC to use their good offices to resolve the Ogun State Council crisis in accordance with the Constitution of our Union and in the interest of our members in Ogun state.
3. That the meeting noted with grave concern the plethora of cases instituted and involving NUJ members across the country, and called on the National Leadership to set up a Special Committee with the mandate of ensuring that all the case are amicably resolved out of court.
4. That the Zone reviewed the activities of the Committee earlier set up on the Economic Agenda of the Union in the Southwest, and urged the Committee to come up with a Blueprint on the Economic Advancement of NUJ in the Zone without delay.
5. That Meeting condemned in strong terms the upsurge in the alleged criminal activities of herdsmen in several parts of the Southwest zone of the country which have resulted in wanton destruction of lives and property, high rate of kidnapping and general state of apprehension among inhabitants and commuters.
We therefore called on President Muhammadu Buhari, Six governors, traditional rulers and other stakeholders in the zone to rise up to the security challenges by proffering lasting measure to curb the menace.
6. That B-Zone commended the Leadership of National Assembly for listening to the voice of reasoning by promptly withdrawing the draconian guidelines for the coverage of activities of the legislature by journalists and enjoined the federal lawmakers to create an enabling environment for the media to perform their duties without encumbrances.
7. The Zone equally expressed appreciation to our National President, Comrade Chris Iziguso for facilitating the engagement between the INEC and NUJ leaders in the Country which culminated in the Interactive Fora held in Abuja and Enugu recently; urging him to sustain such laudable initiatives.
8. The Zonal Leaders commended the Osun State Council for hosting the emergency meeting.
COMMUNIQUÉ DRAFTING MEMBERS:
** Adetona Aderoboye (Chairman)
** Alfred Adebayo Odifa (Secretary)