- Covid-19 vaccination: Ondo govt to ban workers from Nov. 1
- Implications of Nnamdi Kanu’s prosecution by Buhari’s govt —Afenifere
- Just In: Court convicts NSCDC officer for using fake Certificate
- Federal Poly, Ileoluji holds First Matric for Akure Centre students, SIWES orientation Oct 21
- EndSARS Memorial Day: Peaceful protest in Akure as Police Boss reacts
By: Ade Adeleke
A welder, Seun Ayeni, was on Tuesday convicted to a life imprisonment by an Ondo State High Court sitting in Akure for raping a thirteen year-old girl.
The convict was arrested by men of the Ondo State Police Command for raping the victim, who is said to be his neighbour’s niece, at Oke-Aro area of Akure two years ago.
The convict was said to have waylaid the victim on her way to the toilet and lured her into his room, where he forcefully had carnal knowledge of her.
Delivering his judgment, the trial judge, Justice Samuel Bola, ruled that the testimonies of the prosecution witnesses were genuine and Ayeni was guilty to bag a life jail.
The judge noted that the examination conducted by a medical doctor confirmed that the victim was raped by the welder.
During the trial, the convict denied raping the girl, saying the victim’s aunt wanted to implicate him as a result of a disagreement between them.
Justice Samuel Bola, held that the testimonies of the prosecution witnesses were genuine, while Ayeni’s testimony was unacceptable.
The court also stated that the prosecution had proved its case against the convict beyond reasonable doubt and thereby found him guilty of the offence.