- Covid-19 vaccination: Ondo govt to ban workers from Nov. 1
- Implications of Nnamdi Kanu’s prosecution by Buhari’s govt —Afenifere
- Just In: Court convicts NSCDC officer for using fake Certificate
- Federal Poly, Ileoluji holds First Matric for Akure Centre students, SIWES orientation Oct 21
- EndSARS Memorial Day: Peaceful protest in Akure as Police Boss reacts
By Isaac Afolabi
Nigeria number one female squash player Yemisi Olatunji has hoisted the nation’s flag higher by pummelling her rival Helena Dutina of Serbia by 9/16 in the first round of the 2019 women’s queen city open championship ongoing in Regina Canada.
Yemisi in an exclusive interview said although several factors almost hindered her from taking part in the championship but she was determined and moved to sponsor herself to the tournament which she noted would help her in the world squash ranking.
While speaking emotionally on her passion for the game of squash and love for the country,Yemisi called on the federal government, ministry of sports and other stakeholders to support and encourage talents who most times strive to sponsor themselves out of the country for tournaments.
Olatunji who is the only player from Nigeria to take part in the 2019 championship said she is without a coach physiotherapy among other crew,but promised to make the country proud.
She further advocated more attention to other sports.
The 2019 National Sports Festival double gold medal will next face another European Emilia Saoni from Finland.