By: Ade Adeleke
…….As Ondo Govt renews lockdown of Markets, Schools, Borders amidst COVID-19
Ondo State Governor, Oluwarotimi Akeredolu,SAN, yesterday visited the site of last month’s explosion along Akure-Owo road to inspect the ongoing repair of the road which was cut off by the impact of an explosion that occurred near Akure airport two weeks ago.
The governor noted that the rehabilitation of the federal road was to make travelling easier for those going and returning from Lagos and other parts of the south from Abuja and other sections of the north.
It will be recalled that the explosion was caused when a truck conveying explosives to a quarry company in Auchi, Edo State, exploded at the Ilu-Abo area in Akure North Local Government area of the state.
The Governor, visited the scene of the explosion in company with his Chief of Staff, Chief Gbenga Ale, Commissioner for Works, Hon. Saka Yusuf-Ogunleye and the Special Adviser on Lands, Works and Infrastructure, Engr. Raimi Aminu, to inspect the ongoing construction the road,
Akeredolu said the road was a major highway which also connects both the southern and central senatorial districts with the northern senatorial district of the state.
Akeredolu said his administration considered it imperative to swiftly repair the road in order to ease the movement of commuters plying the route to access the Northern, Eastern and Southern parts of the country from Akure and beyond.
While noting that the repair of the road is being undertaken by the Direct Labour agency of the state ministry of works, Governor Akeredolu said he had always been impressed by the competence and efficiency of the officials of the ministry.
Earlier, the Special Adviser explained that the reconstruction of the bad portion of the road was being done in line with the specification of the Federal Ministry of Works.
While assuring that the Federal Government would reimburse the state for fixing the road, the Special Adviser said the job would be completed within the next few weeks.
LATEST FROM ONDO GOVT ON COVID-19
COVID-19: Measures To Curb Spread Still In Force
It will be recalled that the Government took some far reaching decisions in respect of the pandemic some of which were for a period of 14 days in the first instance. Shortly after the disclosure of the decisions to the public, fresh measures were equally put in place to complement Government’s efforts.
After a careful assessment of the situation nationwide in line with our index status in respect of COVID-19, the Ondo State Government wishes to inform the general public that such measures and steps taken so far are still in force.
For the avoidance of doubt, these measures which shall still be in force until further notice include:
1. Total ban on all Political, Social and Religious gatherings in the State
2. Gatherings at clubs, beer parlours and joints.
3. All Civil Servants from Grade Levels 01-12, except those on essential duties as may be determined by their respective Accounting Officers and Chief Executives, are to remain at home.
4. Closure of both public and private schools
5. Restriction on religious gatherings in Churches and Mosques
6. Closure of markets across the State
7. Closure of the State’s inter-state boundaries with neighbouring states.
8. Total ban on inter-state travels entry into the State
Hon. Commissioner for Information and Orientation
April 7, 2020.