- Defection: Why we won’t miss Dennis Alonge —Ondo PDP, welcomes two political Bigwigs
- Govt reacts as Two Residents drowned in Ondo River
- Crack in Ondo PDP as ex-Chair Candidate Alonge, Scores of PDP, ZLP leaders defect to APC
- No Amotekun Officer killed in Ondo —Commander
- Amotekun officer, Two others shot dead in Ondo
By: Ade Adeleke
Following weekend’s explosion that occurred near Akure airport on Akure-Owo Highway, the Inspector General of Police, Muhammed Adamu, today said the force is not sleeping on the mystery that surrounded the circumstances that led to the blast, noting that his men are working hard to unravel the mystery behind the incident.
To this effect, the IGP set up a fact-finding committee to unravel the cause of the last Saturday’s explosion at Eleyowo/Ilu-abo in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State.
The Adamu who spoke through the Deputy Inspector General of Police (Operation), Abdulmajid Ali, disclosed this while briefing the State Governor, Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, SAN, on what the police has done so far.
The DIG, who visited the Governor shortly after visiting the site of the incident along Akure-Owo express road, said members of the committee include police officers from the Police Bomb Disposal Squad (Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit.
He was accompanied on the visit by the Director-General of Geological Survey Agency, Nigeria, Dr. Kaka Imam.
The DIG said he had visited the scene of the unfortunate incident with his team, officials of the geological survey agency had also taken sample of the soils, and assured that the committee would come out with acceptable report.
The DIG, who commended the State governor for his display of maturity when he visited the scene, said the police are not sleeping on the issue and that they are working to unravel the mystery behind the blast.
Akeredolu, while commending the Nigeria Police for the steps taken so far, particularly lauded the state commissioner of police, Undie Adie, for being on his toes since the tragic incident, saying he has demonstrated the capacity of his office.
He noted that, while he was not against other views, particularly that of a university Don from OAU, who claimed that the incident was caused by an Asteriod, he is still relying on the initial information he got from the Commissioner of Police.
Akeredolu said, “I am not saying the Professor was right or wrong and I am not making any conclusion. I have been speaking with some experts and they said if we were unable to found debris of the shattered truck within one kilometer radius from the spot of the incident, that shows the incident was not caused by explosive devices.
“Already, the debris of the truck that was carrying this explosive devices that created a very large crater on the express road, have been seen. This is not new, there are similar incidents with pictorial evidences.
“I am also relying on eyewitnesses’ accounts, particularly, the driver, who drove the vehicle and who is currently recuperating at our State Teaching Hospital, Akure.
“I am very sure that if it was asteroid, the NASRDA would have picked this when coming to earth. This is not what we can hide. I am already in touch with the Minister for Science and Technology, Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu.”
The Governor, however called for calm, urging the people to wait for the results of tests being carried out on the site of the blast.