- Oshiomhole speaks on Akeredolu, Ondo Guber Election
- Ondo SDP gets new Exco, as Falae's Faction suspends Agunloye
- Ondo, Edo Polls: Submit your Membership Registers for Primaries —INEC tells APC, PDP, others
- COVID-19: Ondo records unprecedented number of deaths —Akeredolu
- Ondo, Edo Polls: Real outcomes of APC governors' Consultation with Tinubu Revealed
A senator, Dino Melaye was today sacked by the court of appeal after losing his appeal against a tribunal’s ruling that nullified his election as the Senator representing Kogi West Senatorial District in the Senate.
“I just lost my election at the Appeal Court and Fresh election ordered,” Dino Melaye tweeted on Friday.
The Kogi State National Assembly Election Tribunal Friday, 23 August nullified Dino Melaye’s election.
Melaye, a candidate of the opposition People’s Democratic Party (PDP) was declared the winner of the February election by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
His victory was challenged in court by Smart Adeyemi, the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
Adeyemi challenged Melaye’s victory on three grounds of irregularities, over voting and non-compliance with the electoral acts.
The three-man panel led by Justice A. O. Chijioke in a unanimous judgment accepted Adeyemi’s appeal and ordered reelection.
Despite the court ruling, Melaye said, “In all things, I give God the Praise.”
He continued that “He who started a good thing will definitely complete it.”
Melaye expressed hope in winning the reelection ordered by the court and asked his supporters to be law-abiding, noting that he and his supporters will “always overcome”.